1. Writing is almost never just about the writing. It is often more about presentation, marketing and networking. If your website looks absolutely terrible, that is a contributing factor to why you don’t have many readers.
2.Your writing can be terrible as long as it is interesting. Seriously, 95% of readers don’t care about Grammar Nazi things such as tense, oxford commas, typos, sentence fragments, run-ons, etc.
None of those matter as much as writers think. If the majority of the world were English majors, this would change.
As long as the message is clear—that is clear enough to let the writing be entertaining—that is what matters most.
3. Publish less and edit more. I’m not saying don’t write a lot—you should—but don’t hit the publish button as often. 1 great or even good blog post is better than 40 mediocre ones.
Don’t try to compete with other writers putting out more posts or words than you are. You’ll never win.
4. Headlines are ABSOLUTELY critical to your success. Without a great headline, it is very likely only your mom and a few bored Facebook friends that read your posts.
5. Most advice about how to do things is just a preference. Very few other rules apply today as things change so quickly.
6. Your writing is not about you. If you want to write for yourself, that is fine, but let’s be clear—that is called a journal or a diary. That is not something to share online. You must write for a particular audience or you will spend the majority of your time spinning your wheels. Write to help the audience. Even if you write fiction, you want to take the audience on an adventure and solve the problem of boredom.
7. If you want to be a writer, you have to be a marketer as well. It is UNAVOIDABLE. Marketing is NOT a dirty word. It is just how you spread a message or share a story. Don’t let the sleazy, pushy guy in an ugly sportcoat skew how you view marketing or sales.
Marketing is just storytelling. And if you write a good story, over time, some of them will spread.
8-10. But most importantly, write these three things forever on your brain to find success with your writing:
Want more? Subscribe to my free newsletter here and I’ll give you more of the inside scoop. I may even throw in some awesome freebies too. I want to treat you right–not like a random number as many do.
Got anything you would add to this list? I’d love to hear it in the comments!